Friday, March 29, 2013

Luke Laughs Age 4

Luke is growing up - it hasn't been without growing pains, but he has hit his stride and things are getting easier (and sillier) each day.  He is smart and loving and makes everyone feel good.  It's been a journey working thru his speech delays, and minor sensory issues, but we are very proud of how hard he has worked and who he is!!   Michael and I were talking about some of the funny things he has said over the last year... so the purpose of this post is to capture these priceless words, as they soon will be a distant memory.   :-(

1.  Last year in preschool Luke had a classmate whom he butted heads with quite a bit.  They were both classified as "all boy" by their teacher and by the end of the year, Luke had nothing positive to say about Kannon the Kannonball.  I can't remember what I was reading to him, but the book had the word "foe" in it.  In true Luke form, he asked what that meant and I explained it to him.  Sure enough the next day on the way to school, he said, "Kannon is my foe", except he pronounced it "faaaaa".   He couldn't quite remember the word.  I laughed and now it's a big running joke around here. 
2.   Luke would say "You crack me up!" in the wrong context.  He would say it when he was frustrated that he could not do something he wanted to do.
3.  "Let's call God - maybe he can make Ryan stop crying."
4.  "I'm having a hard life.  Everyone is sad to me."  Followed by the saddest tears ever.
5.  One day he asked me multiple questions about babies.   I was caught off guard but not completely shocked - he is so inquisitive it was bound to happen.  Luke: "Mom, what happens when babies can't get out of your tummy?"  Me: "Doctors have ways of taking them out so it doesn't hurt the Mom or baby."  Phew!  That seemed to satisfy him until he followed it up with the big one, "How does a baby get in your tummy?"  Hannah didn't really ask this question until she was 7 or so.  I decided I'd try to give him a more precise answer than the one I gave Hannah because I just didn't think it would really make sense anyway.  I said, "A Mommy and Daddy make a baby."  Of course he didn't stop after that answer.  Luke: "How does a Mommy and Daddy make a baby?"   I said, "God helps in that process."  Such a dumb answer, but I couldn't get more technical than that yet.  Luckily no more questions.  Next time I may have to give more details.  Glad I now have a book on how to talk to you kids about sex (age appropriate chapters included).
6.  He is playing soccer and t-ball and is really into it.   At a practice or a game he's picked up on the saying "good luck" and he says it all the time. He uses it interchangeably with "have a good day" or "see you later".  Michael will leave for work and he says, "Good luck, Dad."
7.  During the middle of last soccer season, the Hawks faced a tough team.  Luke wasn't able to score against these boys as easily.  After a lot of hustle and driving down the field, he was about to kick it in, when one boy got the ball from him.  Luke must have had a rush of testosterone because he literally bowed up and chest bumped the kid in the middle of the play!!!  I was on the end of the field chasing Ryan around and Michael was on the side lines with his parents.  We both marched right on the field and pulled him from the game.  So unexpected and unlike him.  Needless to say we had a lot of talks about good sportsmanship and using our self control.  Things have toned down considerably and no more emotional outbursts, but we do have a very competitive little boy at game time.
8.  The first game of this soccer season Luke flew down the entire length of the field like a hawk after he scored a goal.  The funniest thing I think I have ever seen him do.
9.  Luke has a knack for numbers - able to add a one and two digit number together in his head and figuring out increments such as 3, 9, 12, etc.  He asks lots of questions about the concept of infinity and loves to use this word in his daily conversations.
10.  Driving home Luke noticed the trees in bloom and got so excited to see the purple and white colors.  Later after taking it all in he said, "God made a good life. The world is beautiful."

No comments: