Saturday, February 6, 2010

Bye Bye Baby

Luke is officially without his paci! I have to give ourselves a big pat on the back for finally coming up with the courage to take it away. Little Luke has always had a hard time calming down and the pacifier was a sanity saver for me, but in the process he became quite attached to it. I tried to have him throw them away like Hannah did at 22 months or so. But I'm starting to see that their personalities are really very different. He willingly threw the green one away - probably because it was full of holes he had bitten. When I tried to have him do the same with the white paci (no holes), he burst into tears and was very confused. So the next weekend we took a different approach. We talked to him a lot about how he was not a baby anymore and that our friend, Baby Holden, really needed the pacis. Before I could change my mind we made a quick stop to Allison's house and he gave them to the baby. The first night was hard - he cried a while and woke up twice. Michael was sooo helpful and did all the work for me that night - he soothed him by patting his chest both times he woke up. The next night was less crying and no night wakings but nap time is still hard at home. Most days he works himself up into a frenzy, but I let him cry for about 5-8 minutes then go in and rock him, usually right to sleep. I guess we have regressed in that area, but I'll take it. Time stops for a while when he's asleep in my arms. :)

No comments: