Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Preschool Party Pandamonium

Luke's preschool party was a hoot! I offered to help Mrs. G with the party since her room mom also has a baby, it's nice to have two people to plan things. Well, this Mama didn't plan ahead very well at all. My first mistake was not getting a babysitter for Ryan. What was I thinking? It's not like I didn't know this, I have been to tons of classroom parties - it is always a zoo! I also didn't realize how Ryan is officially at the "into everything" stage. If I had realized this, I would have really secured a babysitter.

I arrived after the egg hunt because I had to pick up cupcakes from Sam's (why I thought it was a good idea to get 'not-so-special' cupcakes 20 minutes away, I do NOT know), but I also had to let Ryan get a morning nap b/c there was no way he'd make it without one. I met Luke outside on their way in the building and at least saw the eggs he found. Isn't he a cutie?...



After that, Luke was confused he didn't understand the party was just getting started, he thought I was going to leave. Finally, I figured out why he was upset and explained that I wasn't going anywhere and then he relaxed and was ready for some fun. I absolutely loved hearing the kids pray before their meal. "Tick, tock says the clock, now it's time to pray. Fold your hands and bow your head and this is what we say...."






Ryan was doing pretty well up to this point. I gave him a modified lunch of wagon wheels and cranraisins, an applesauce pouch and one of those super messy Gerber granola bars (another bad idea). After I had exhausted all of my tricks for keeping him confined to a stroller, I had to let him out to crawl around. Oh and I must also add here that I made a bad choice with the stroller. I'm in a stroller predicament - I have a wire frame stroller for his carseat, an umbrella stroller and a massive jogging stroller. Had to bring the latter b/c of the tray but it took up half the classroom. It's all just humorous to me, as if I am clueless about how to get around with babies. So annoying.




Chasing after a crawling baby who pulls up on everything and grabs everything in sight does not work very well when your 4 year old wants you to sit right next to him while he eats and does his craft. Nor does it work very well when you are trying to engage with your preschooler and take some pictures with your massive camera that won't fit in your pocket or stay around your neck while holding a baby. It's a no win situation with the camera too. When I thought things were at their worst, Mrs. G asked if I could read a story to the kids. I said, "I can...", but she didn't catch on to my hesitation. I was thinking it would be impossible - no clue how I was going to pull this off. Thank goodness Mrs. Hogan scooped up the baby and entertained him so I could attempt to read to these kids (and their parents who were sitting with them all cuddled up ready for something really good). Ugh! I could not get my bearings at first. Luke is literally on his back next to Kanon the Kanonball and they are kicking each other and being rowdy. Mrs. G separates them and Luke is insistent on sitting right next to me by whining and pulling on me, all the while ignoring Mrs. G who is trying to get him to listen to the story. Yes, this all happened as I'm reading the first 3 pages. Finally, Luke listens to the teacher and I find my groove. As I was reading "Hopper's Easter Surprise", I realize I have never read this book before. It's always a teeny bit awkward for me to read a new book aloud for the first time, even with my own kids, so this was plain uncomfortable. Another case of not thinking things thru.

Craft time was next. Luke is the world's worst colorer. He really, really is. I have tried everything - different types of crayons, coloring books, craft projects. He just does not like it. One Sunday he came home from church with two coloring pages full of color and pattern and inside the lines. I was so excited only to find out his friend Sarah Jane colored them for him. No doubt he will get an "NI" in coloring like his Dad did in kindergarten. Anyway, while all the other kids are adding lots of color and detail, mine is scribbling and saying "I'm done!" before all the supplies are even handed out. Oh well, the project was about Jesus' resurrection so A++ for the room mom!





Luke loves his new school and his sweet teacher. What a party! PHEW!!! Glad it's over. And I will make a point to be more prepared for the next one.


1 comment:

Juli Holden said...

Great posting, sis! I am starting to feel your pain with Levi getting into everything! It's so fun but exhausting! I am sure you did an awesome job with the party.