We started Luke in his first organized sport this year and he was ready. Luke isn't a very big kid, but he's fast, coordinated and has always loved to play sports. He's a natural - hitting a baseball, swinging a club, shooting a basket and dribbling and kicking have really taken off this past year. So after almost 2 years of the sports class at The Little Gym we thought it was time he play on a team.
His first game was a few weekends ago and it was the cutest thing I've seen in a long time. Luke has that Wilkins competitive spirit and it showed. He hustled hard and had a great time. He scored once on the wrong goal and was tripped up under two players. Poor baby ran off crying and sat on my lap for a while. :-) But he asked to go back in and finished out strong. My favorite memories of this game were watching him walk off completely dejected and sad when someone had to sub in. He'd say, "I don't want to sit down. I want to keep playing" I was worried he was upset with how he played, but it was purely that he wanted to keep going. Michael and I have had a lot of laughs over how he yelled several times, "Put me in, Coach!" from the sidelines. Where did he come up with that? Hysterical. Also loved seeing big sis support and encourage him during the game. It's fun sitting on the same side and having some interaction with him during the game.
2nd game. The Americans came out strong scoring goal after goal in the first quarter. Luke played in the second quarter and although they scored a few more times, the "Air" Hawks started to figure out how to be more aggressive. Luke took shot after shot hitting the goal post or just missing the goal, he couldn't get the angle quite right. It was one of those games where you heard, "Ahhhh! Soo close!" time and time again. A game where you felt so bad for the player because they were so close and trying so hard, but it just didn't come together. The last half the Americans didn't score too much more and Luke did make 2 goals so it was a strong finish. Funny moments were when teammate Will gave Luke a fist bump and said, "That's what I'm talking about!" Also got a chuckle when I heard these comments from Luke on the sidelines..."N-O, N-O" and "S-T-O-P" (he's kinda into spelling words and this was directed towards the opponent). Also when he stood and yelled, "Ref! Ref!" Not sure why?
Here are some photos from his first game. I'm a proud soccer mom. :)
Warming up...
Cute little Team Captain...
Getting a few tips from a seasoned player...haha....
Game time...
Parting words from Coach...
GO HAWKS!




No comments:
Post a Comment